Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012

Is 964 days a long time to wait between blog posts?

Yes?

Ok.

I'm back on blogger and ready to start a new season of life. 2012 is the first time that I have made any serious new years resolutions. I'm doing this for a couple of reasons. First, I read this article and thought it sounded like a good idea. Second, in 2011 I accomplished a lot, but I only had a few set goals (like getting into this and this) for the year so most of the things I did just felt like they sort of happened without any real planning or direction. I'm determined to avoid that this year, so I've set a number of goals for myself that I plan on documenting here. I don't expect anyone to read this, but it should be a good place to record what happens in my life this next year.

I've broken my goals into categories as suggested by Dave Ramsey in his book Entreleadership. In no order, they are: Career, Financial, Spiritual, Physical, Intellectual, Family, and Social. Here's what I have managed to come up with so far.

Career:
Oso Simple Tech: Close funding round. Sell 1st set of final units. Figure out a viable exit strategy.

UIUC: Publish a paper. Attend a conference.

General: Network with someone new each month. Write a 5 year career plan.

Financial:
Complete baby steps 2 and 3.

Spiritual:
30 minute quiet time each day.
Read through the bible in one year.

Physical:
Run a 5k.
Lose 20 lbs.

Intellectual:
Learn how to program in Objective C.
Complete 1 personal electronics project each quarter.
Read 3 books per month.
Maintain a 3.6 GPA in grad school.

Family:
Go on one date per week with my wife.
Attend younger brother's graduation in May.
Bring my younger sister to Illinois for a visit.

Social:
Call or email at least one long distance friend each week.
Don't eat lunch alone.

I obviously plan on doing more than just these things this year, but I thought this was a good starting point. Most of the posts in this blog will deal with one of the things on this list in some way or another.

Until next time..



No comments: